A good GMAT score can vary depending on the MBA program you are applying to and the competitiveness of the applicant pool. Generally, a GMAT score of 700 or higher is considered a good score, while a score of 760 or higher is considered a great score.
However, some MBA programs may consider applicants with scores as low as 550 if they have other outstanding qualifications. Ultimately, the best way to determine a good GMAT score for your situation is to research the average scores of admitted students at the MBA programs you are interested in applying to.
Average GMAT scores also depend on the location of the business schools. European and Canadian business schools tend to have lower average GMAT scores than their US counterparts.
A good way to find out a good GMAT score is to take a look at the average GMAT scores of the latest incoming class of your target business school.
In this article, we’ll discuss how to find a good GMAT score.
- 3 Steps – What is a good GMAT score?
- What is a good GMAT score for European Business Schools?
- Case Study – What is a good GMAT score?
- FAQ – What is a good GMAT score?
3 Steps – What is a good GMAT score?
Let’s take a look at this 3-step process of finding a good GMAT score.
Step 1 – Create a list of your target business schools
The first step is to identify your target business schools. This is how you can select a target business school.
When selecting a target business school for MBA admissions, there are several factors to consider:
- Program fit: Research the schools’ curriculum, specializations, and course offerings to ensure they align with your career goals and interests.
- Location: Consider the location of the school and how it aligns with your personal preferences and job prospects.
- Reputation: Look at the school’s reputation, both regionally and nationally, and research the school’s ranking by reputable sources such as U.S. News & World Report and the Financial Times.
- Network: Research the school’s alumni network and their career outcomes to see if they align with your career goals.
- Cost: Consider the total cost of attendance, including tuition, room, and board, and research the school’s financial aid options.
- Admissions requirements: Review the school’s admissions requirements, such as GMAT/GRE scores, work experience, and essays, and assess whether you meet the qualifications.
It’s also important to visit the campus and attend information sessions to get a sense of the culture and student body before making a final decision.
Learn about GMAT scores and percentiles in this article
Step 2 – Find out the average GMAT scores of your target business schools
Once you have identified your target business schools the next step is to identify the average GMAT scores of the latest class of your target business schools.
For example, if you plan to apply in the 2023-2024 admissions cycle you need the average GMAT scores of the 2022 incoming candidates of your target business school.
Here are the average GMAT scores of top business schools:
|Business School||Average GMAT 2022|
|Harvard Business School||730|
|Columbia Business School||729|
|Carnegie Mellon Tepper||702|
|Georgia Tech Scheller||690|
Step 3 – Add 20 points to the average GMAT score
Once you have identified the average GMAT score of your target business school, add 20 points to that score and round the number to the nearest multiple of 10 (since GMAT score is always in 10-point increments).
Here are good GMAT scores for top business schools:
|Business School||Average GMAT 2022||Good GMAT score|
|Harvard Business School||730||750|
|Columbia Business School||729||750|
|Carnegie Mellon Tepper||702||720|
|Georgia Tech Scheller||690||710|
A good GMAT score for top 10 business schools like Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, and more is 750.
A good GMAT score for the next 10 business schools is 730 to 740.
What is a good GMAT score for European Business Schools?
|Business School||Average GMAT 2022||Good GMAT Score|
|London Business School||702||720|
Case Study – What is a good GMAT score?
Your target business schools are Harvard Business School, Wharton, INSEAD, Columbia Business School, and Dartmouth Tuck.
The average GMAT scores for these business schools are 730, 733, 710, 729, and 726 respectively.
The highest score in the list is 733 and this score will be the baseline score for calculating a good GMAT score.
In this case, a good GMAT score for you is 750.
FAQ – What is a good GMAT score?
A good GMAT score for these 3 business schools is 750 to 760.
A good GMAT score for US business schools is 730.
A good GMAT score for European business schools is 700.